Epidural—discharge advice following epidural/spinal anaesthesia
You have had an epidural and/or spinal as part of your pain management at Mater. While complications are extremely rare, they can be serious and include:
- redness or swelling at the epidural/spinal site
- increasing back pain, especially near the insertion site of the epidural/spinal
- changes in the sensation of your legs, including numbness, tingling or weakness
- changes to your bladder or bowel control
- a headache that is made worse by standing or being upright and eases when lying flat.
If you have noticed any of the above symptoms please contact your obstetrician.
Mater acknowledges consumer consultation in the development of this patient information.
Mater Doc Num: HOSP-003-03180
Last modified 16/11/2015.