After birth—information for partners staying overnight
Your partner has been admitted to a single room. You are welcome to sleep on the day bed provided in each single room, if there is a need for you to stay overnight to provide support and assistance to your partner and baby.
Please note the following if you intend to stay overnight
- please notify the midwife or nurse caring for your partner of your intention to stay. In the event of an emergency, we need to know exactly how many people are on each floor
- for the courtesy of others, you must remain appropriately dressed at all times. As you are in a hospital, midwives and nurses may enter your room at any time during the day or night
- other children are not permitted to stay overnight, under any circumstances
- meals and drinks are not provided to partners staying overnight. You may purchase food and drinks from the café or vending machine on level 5, Mater Mothers’ Hospital
- there are drawers under the bed for storing linen and pillows during the day
- it is a safety and security requirement that all partners wear an identification armband for the duration of the mother and baby’s admission. Please refer to the Mater Mothers’ Hospitals brochure: Your Baby’s Safety and Security for further information
- mobile phones may used in your room or in the foyer near the lifts. Mobile phones should not be used in the corridors as this may be disruptive to other women
- most importantly, remember that staying overnight is an opportunity for you to assist your partner by helping her with your new baby.
© 2014 Mater Misericordiae Ltd. ACN 096 708 922
Mater acknowledges consumer consultation in the development of this patient information.
Mater Doc Num: HOSP-002-01105
Last modified 09/11/2015.