Telehealth Appointment Instructions - Tablet or Smart Phone
Instructions for how to join a telehealth call through tablet or smart phone
To be able to conduct a telehealth appointment from home, you will need the following:
- A tablet device with built-in webcam and speakers OR a desktop computer with a webcam and speakers OR a laptop computer with built-in webcam and speakers. Telehealth can be conducted on a smartphone if necessary, however this is not preferred.
- An internet connection other than 3G wireless such as broadband, ADSL2 or ADSL 2+. Telehealth can work on 4G wireless internet but this is not preferred if there are other options.
- A private space.
Prior to your telehealth appointment, a link will be sent to you along with your appointment details via email. You will be required to tap on this link and download the VidyoMobile App to conduct a telehealth test at least ONE WEEK prior to your appointment. This is important to ensure that everything is working well prior to the appointment. Failure to conduct a test in time may result in your telehealth appointment being rescheduled to a face to face appointment. The following instructions will guide you in conducting a telehealth test as well as conducting a telehealth appointment.
- Tap on the link that is embedded in your appointment email. You may have to copy and paste the link into your web browser.
- A web page will open asking if you have VidyoMobile. If this is the first time you will be doing this, you will need to download the VidyoMobile app by tapping on the ‘Download on the App Store’ or ‘Download on Google play’ button as shown in the image on the right. You will be automatically taken to you App Store.
Note: The screenshot shown here is the Apple version. If you’re using another type of tablet/smartphone, this may look slightly different.
- From the App Store, tap on the download icon as shown on the right. Once the VidyoMobile app has downloaded, tap on the ‘OPEN’ button.
- You may get a pop up asking youto allow VidyoMobile to send you notifications. Tap ‘Don’t Allow’ or ‘Ok’.
- You will be taken to the log-in page. DO NOT ENTER ANY LOG-IN DETAILS. Go back to the appointment email with the embedded link and tap on the link again instead.You will get the same screen as before as shown to the right. This time, since you’ve already downloaded the app, tap on the ‘Join Conference’ icon.
- Enter the name that you would like to be displayed to the clinician on the other end of the videocall. Tap on the ‘Join Conference’ button.
- You may be asked to allow VidyoMobile to access the Microphone and Camera. Tap ‘Ok’ to both.
- You will be taken straight into the videocall as shown on the right. For the test, you will only see yourself, as nobody will be joining the call on the other end.
During the actual appointment, if the clinician is on the videocall, you will see them on the bottom of the screen and you will see yourself at the top of the screen. If they’re not on the call, you will see yourself on both screens. To make either image fill your entire screen, simply double tap it. We advise that you can see yourself throughout the appointment to ensure the clinician has a good visual of you.
Note: For your appointment, there may be a waiting period for someone to come on but this is often significantly less than waiting for a face to face appointment at the Mater.
- When you tap on the screen, a menu bar will appear on the bottom with a number of icons. See table below for how to use the key icons. For the test, make sure you understand and are comfortable with these icons.
Understanding Key Icons
Mater acknowledges consumer consultation in the development of this patient information.
Last modified 18/1/2016.