Services for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Autism Therapy Services
Mater Health Services has a demonstrated history of providing evidence-based multidisciplinary services to children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and their families. The private autism services at Mater Health and Wellness are provided by highly experienced allied health clinicians with expertise in assessment, diagnosis and intervention.
Allied Health Disciplines
Mater Health and Wellness Autism Therapy Services are provided by:
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech Pathologists
- Social Workers
Focus of Interventions
The focus of interventions are individualised to each child and their family, and may include:
- attention and self-regulation
- play skills and interacting with others
- language and understanding skills
- functional communication skills, including Adaptive Augmentative Communication systems
- social skills, friendship skills and understanding emotions
- daily living skills—including eating, toileting and sleep
- sensory difficulties
- motor skills
- higher level thinking and problem-solving skills
- behavioural problems related to the diagnosis
- hearing assessment
- counselling, including relationship issues, parental stress and adjustment related to a new diagnosis of autism for your child
- strategies for managing the impact on the rest of the family
- linking to community supports
- addressing nutritional adequacy and feeding difficulties
- assessment of food sensitivities and intolerances
- combined consultations with practitioners from more than one discipline
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Scale (ADOS) assessments
- Hanen More Than Words program
- Secret Agent Society social skills training
- approved provider for the Australian Government's Helping Children with Autism initiative (Speech Pathology and Occupational Therapy). For further information go to www.fahcsia.gov.au/autism
Mater Health and Wellness staff are recognised providers with private health funds and Medicare. Rebates for services are available where applicable.
Mater Health and Wellness is an approved provider for the Australian Government's Helping Children with Autism initiative (Speech Pathology and Occupational Therapy). For further information go to www.fahcsia.gov.au/autism
Mater Health and Wellness
Level 3, Salmon Building, Raymond Terrace
535 Stanley St, South Brisbane
Phone: 07 3163 6000
© 2012 Mater Misericordiae Ltd. ACN 096 708 922.
Mater acknowledges consumer consultation in the development of this patient information.
Mater Doc Num: MHS-802-03644
Last modified 11/11/2015.