Private allied health services for all stages of life
As an extension of the exceptional care provided through Mater’s private hospitals, Mater Health and Wellness’ specialised team of allied health professionals provides a coordinated approach, ensuring clients of all ages receive individualised assessment and intervention for optimal health and wellness. Here is a quick reference guide to our services.
Experienced physiotherapists provide assessment, management and advice for the following conditions:
• adult musculoskeletal and sports injuries
• back and neck pain
• safe exercise for weight management and post lap band
• bladder, bowel and pelvic floor disorders
• pre and postnatal physiotherapy including pelvic girdle pain, thoracic and lumbar back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, rectus diastasis and abdominal laxity
• lactation disorders
• range of continence problems including bed wetting, incontinence and constipation
• paediatric musculoskeletal and sports injuries
• baby and child developmental issues.
Skilled occupational therapists provide a wide range of professional services, including:
• hand therapy, splinting and rheumatology
• lymphoedema and vascular management, compression garments (including for pregnancy and travel)
• scar management
• adult neurological (cognitive and perceptual) assessment
• developmental paediatric assessments around fine motor, play or school readiness
• school aged assessments regarding learning, handwriting and planning
• support for autism spectrum disorders
• support for children with toileting routines
• stress management, relaxation, mindfulness
• pain management
• quit smoking programs
• coaching for quality of life, health and wellbeing.
A clinical psychologist is available at our South Brisbane
clinic to offer interventions on cancer-related issues such as:
• adjusting to a diagnosis of cancer and working on stressors related to treatment
• depression and mood management related to cancer and its treatment
• chronic and acute pain management
• health changing behaviours such as increasing motivation to exercise and having a healthy diet
• personal growth – building self-esteem and confidence, identifying values, and beliefs.
A Credentialed Diabetes Educator is available to provide Individual consultations for the following:
• preconception care for women with pre-existing diabetes
• Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
• Type 2 Diabetes
• Type 1 Diabetes
• advice and assistance with diabetes self-management skills
• help with blood glucose monitoring
• advice and assistance with regard to insulin therapy.
Experienced speech pathologists can assist with:
• adult and adolescent speech clarity and accent reduction
• fluency (including stuttering) across all ages
• swallowing and speech difficulties associated with adult neurological disorders
• acquired speech and language disorders (e.g. post stroke)
• Lee Silverman Voice Treatment Program
• language and literacy issues
• children with speech difficulties
• children who have difficulty understanding language or following directions
• assessment for school readiness
• school age children with difficulty reading
• infants and children with difficulty swallowing and feeding
• support for autism spectrum disorders.
Nutrition and Dietetics
Accredited Practising Dietitians provide advice and management for the following:
• weight management and nutrition coaching
• nutritional management pre and post lap band
• diabetes management
• cardiac disease
• gastrointestinal disorders
• nutrition and osteoporosis
• nutrition during cancer treatment
• food allergies and intolerances
• support for Autism Spectrum Disorders
• paediatric failure to thrive and fussy eaters
• eating disorders
• infant feeding difficulties (including formula choices)
• nutrition to optimise fertility
• nutrition for pregnancy and breast feeding.
Experienced audiologists can provide the following:
• hearing test for adults, children, and babies
• diagnostic assessments
• auditory brainstem response
• central auditory processing
• fitting of pro plugs
• advice around amplification devices.
Appointments can be made via phone 07 3163 6000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mater acknowledges consumer consultation in the development of this patient information.
Mater Doc Num: MHS-000-06382
Last modified 21/1/2016.